Many of the problems we see at our Bellevue dentistry clinic can be traced to poor oral hygiene habits. If you are not brushing or flossing your teeth correctly, you may be increasing your risk of developing gum disease and other oral health problems. Even if you consider yourself to be fairly good at brushing your teeth, there is a difference between good oral hygiene and great oral hygiene that is only noticeable in the dentist’s chair.
Dr. Lee and his staff can demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques during your consultation, or any other time you visit our office. Until then, take a look at this list of oral hygiene tips from Dr. Lee and his team at the dental clinic in Bellevue:
- Always floss before brushing. This helps the fluoride in your toothpaste to get in between your teeth better.
- Brush two times a day. Ideally, you will want to brush your teeth once after you wake up and once before you go to bed, after your last meal of the day. Plan to stop eating or drinking anything except water between your last brushing and bedtime. This is important because your mouth is less able to defend itself while you sleep.
- Brush for just two minutes. If you want to make sure your teeth are sufficiently cleaned, you must brush with the right amount of pressure for only two minutes. Any more than this can be too hard on your gums.
- Don’t brush right after a meal. Acids in food can weaken the tooth enamel for a short period of time and make them vulnerable to being stripped away. Avoid brushing immediately after a meal.
- Hold the brush at the right angle. You will need to hold your brush at a forty-five degree angle and brush in a circular motion. Make sure you are gently massaging your gums while you brush your teeth for even better results.
- Clean your tongue. Remember that plaque can also gather on your tongue. Use a tongue scraper to remove plaque and bacteria, or simply brush your tongue using your toothbrush if necessary.
- Use a good mouthwash. Always follow up your tooth brushing regimen with a quality mouthwash. A good antibacterial and fluoride rinse can work wonders for keeping the teeth and gums in good health.
Want to learn more about proper brushing and flossing techniques? Set up a consultation with Dr. Lee today! Call our Bellevue dental clinic at 425-453-9999.