Oral Hygiene Habits
You want to maintain that beautiful smile for life, so don’t compromise on your oral hygiene habits! A daily regimen of good oral hygiene practices is essential for optimal oral health.
Dr. Yu and the team at our Bellevue dentistry clinic encourage all patients to be diligent about their brushing and flossing routine, and to use a high-quality toothbrush and mouth rinse for even better results. Brushing, flossing, and using a mouth rinse help to keep your teeth and gums in great shape.
Maintaining good oral hygiene also eliminates the risk of bad breath and a host of symptoms associated with gum disease.
Dental Health Basics
Here are some dental health basics all patients need to keep in mind:
- Optimal oral health begins with clean teeth, so keep your teeth clean with by brushing regularly and using a high-quality toothbrush.
- Replace your toothbrush or brush head every three months.
- Don’t skimp on the floss! Flossing regularly keeps the spaces between the teeth and gumline free of plaque. Make sure you are flossing only one tooth at a time for optimal results.
- Use a good fluoride toothpaste.
- Invest in a high-quality antibacterial mouth rinse or fluoride mouth rinse for optimal results.
- Try an oral irrigator to help dislodge food particles that are not easy to remove with brushing or flossing alone.
- Visit our Bellevue dental clinic at least once per quarter.
- Contact us immediately if you notice your gums are tender or swollen, your gums bleed when you brush or floss, or your teeth are becoming loose or shifting.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit the number of snacks between meals.
- Brushing too often can damage your gums so limit tooth brushing to two minutes, two times per day.
- Use a toothbrush with soft or extra soft bristles, or ask Dr. Yu for a recommendation.
- Consider an in-office teeth whitening treatment to enhance your smile.
Want to learn more about oral hygiene practices? Set up your appointment with Dr. Yu at our Bellevue dentistry clinic today! Call us at 425-453-9999.