If you have a single missing tooth or several missing teeth, you may be self-conscious about your smile. Even if you are missing teeth in the back of your mouth, the lost tooth can adversely affect your ability to chew and also cause deterioration of the jawbone. This is why missing teeth must be treated as soon as possible, and Bellevue dentist Dr. Yu may recommend dental implants to fill the gaps in your smile.
The Dental Implants Procedure
Implants are designed to function and look just like your natural teeth. Unlike dentures, they have the added benefit of being attached to the jawbone so they can stimulate the bone and reduce the risk of bone loss over time. Dental implants are permanent and are as secure as your natural teeth.
Implants are comprised of three parts, and the titanium screw is fused directly into or on top of the jaw bone for a secure fit. The implant is topped with a porcelain crown and looks and functions just like your natural tooth. Since it is fused to the jaw bone, the bone is stimulated when you chew food, so there is no risk of jaw bone loss because of a missing tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Some of the top benefits of dental implants include:
- Strong, stable, and highly durable
- Can last your entire lifetime with proper care
- Help to retain your natural face shape and smile
- Protect healthy bone tissue
- Allow you to eat your favorite foods
- No cavities possible in an implant-restored crown
- Protects your healthy teeth from damage
- Keep teeth in place without risk of shifting or a loose fit
- Predictable results
- Teeth cannot move, click, or shift, like they can with dentures
- Stimulates the bone to encourage growth and prevent bone loss
If you have missing teeth, set up a consultation for dental implants with Bellevue dentist Dr. Yu today! Call us at 425-453-9999.