If our dentists finds a large cavity in a tooth that needs to be filled, we may recommend tooth-colored fillings as part of your treatment plan. This is a restorative procedure that helps to rebuild your teeth by creating a strong bond of resin materials in the damaged dentin and enamel of the teeth, effectively sealing off the vulnerable inside from further decay. The result is a very natural-looking tooth that also functions just like your regular teeth.
There are three main kinds of fillings: the direct fillings, the semi-direct fillings, and the indirect fillings. Direct fillings are placed inside the cavity, where resin is usually applied in layers. Semi-direct fillings are needed to repair larger areas, but this form of tooth restoration can be removed when needed.
Indirect fillings are necessary when a complex restoration is needed. After the filling has been set in place, Dr. Yu can polish it as needed and also adjust the bite to ensure optimal functioning and comfort. He will make a recommendation on the type of filling you need during your consultation.
Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Benefits of tooth-colored fillings include:
- The filling material looks like a natural part of your tooth. Nobody will be able to guess which tooth has the filling!
- While older, amalgam-based fillings contain mercury and have certain health implications, tooth-colored fillings entail few if any side effects.
- If your tooth structure has been weakened, the filling serves to reinforce the tooth and prevent future breakage.
- Tooth-colored fillings are easy to install, with predictable results.
- Tooth-colored fillings are more durable and last longer than silver fillings under normal circumstances.
When you need a filling done, don’t settle for anything but the best. Schedule a consultation for tooth-colored fillings at Overlake Dental’s Bellevue dentistry clinic today! Call us at 425-453-9999 during normal business hours.